Upgrading or customizing a used lawn tractor is a great way to get the features and performance you want without paying the premium for a brand-new model. With some mechanical skills and know-how, there are several upgrades and customizations you can do to an older lawn tractor to improve its functionality. Older lawn tractors often have lower horsepower engines compared to newer models. The upgrade is swapping out the engine for a more powerful one. It improves mowing performance, especially on a large yard or thick grass. Ensure the new engine is compatible with your tractor’s design and engine mounting points. Upgraded engines are available through aftermarket suppliers.
New mower deck
The mowing deck on lawn tractors takes quite a beating over time. Replacing an older, worn deck with a new one provides a better cut and improves overall mowing efficiency. Choose a steel deck designed specifically for your tractor’s make and model. It is an easier upgrade that doesn’t require heavy mechanical modifications. Manufacturers often used cheaper, lighter-duty tires on entry-level lawn tractor models. Upgrading to a set of high-quality turf tires designed for garden tractors can improve traction and handling in the yard. Choose a tread style suitable for your terrain. Some options include lug tires, flotation tires, or tractor tires with an aggressive tread pattern.
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) – Older-style carburetors are difficult to tune. For more modern performance, you can upgrade to electronic fuel injection. EFI systems for small engines are now available. It provides easier starts, smoother operation, and improved fuel efficiency.
- 12V Power Outlet – Easy access to 12-volt power on your tractor is handy for plugging in accessories and tools. Install a 12V power outlet system with a cigarette lighter plug, just like in a car. Wire it to your tractor’s battery so you’ve got mobile power while mowing.
- Hour Meter – Keeping tabs on engine run time is important for maintenance. Adding an aftermarket hour meter lets you accurately track hours of use to stay on top of servicing needs. Choose a digital meter that’s easy to read.
- Cup Holder – Because hydration is important, even when mowing! Add a cup holder attachment to your tractor so your beverage is secure and easily within reach. Look for holders that fit standard-size cups and mugs.
- Storage Box – Lacking sufficient storage on your tractor? Bolt on a plastic storage box to gain more space for small tools, gloves, and other items you want handy while mowing. Look for weatherproof storage options made to fit your make and model.
Attachments & accessories
There are all kinds of attachments and accessories available to expand the functionality of a basic lawn tractor. Some options include front loaders, bumper weights, tractor cabs, trailer hitches, and more. Browse attachments built to fit your particular tractor to create a fully customized machine. Kits are available that add suspension to the front axle, seat, or both. A cushioned ride is provided over bumps and uneven terrain.